Connect to Care
The Jewish Community Is Here For You
In this recession, many of us find ourselves in need of support — even those of us who never expected to need assistance. But the Jewish community is here.
The Challenges of This Recession
In the last year, more people — tens of thousands more — have turned to our beneficiary agencies for help. In a UJA-Federation survey, agencies said that from 2008 to 2009 requests increased by:
- 55 percent for rent subsidies.
- 45 percent for legal services.
- 39 percent for housing services.
- 25 to 33 percent for programs including day camps, scholarships, medical and health insurance, emergency cash assistance, and job training.
UJA-Federation of New York created Connect to Care, an initiative that capitalizes on our unique capacity to respond to a communitywide crisis and uses our vast network of agencies to leverage the services and strengths of many of the New York area’s most prestigious and effective human-service agencies and Jewish community centers.
Operating from multiservice centers and local synagogues throughout New York City, Westchester, and Long Island, Connect to Care provides access to a wide range of services, including:
- Employment and career-transition services.
- Financial consulting, debt counseling, and budget assistance.
- Legal services.
- Supportive counseling and Jewish spiritual care.
From its inception through December 31, 2012, we have helped more than 77,000 people through Connect to Care.
Your gift does so much for so many.