In times of a natural disaster or tragic event, UJA-Federation of New York and its network of agencies are able to provide quick and effective disaster relief.
Throughout the decade, we have provided disaster relief in response to tragedies that shocked our nation — and the world.
- UJA-Federation has created the Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund. Funds raised will be used to provide aid to agencies working to help the community and meet the needs of individuals who have been impacted by the devastation, including those isolated and without any other support.
- Originally established by UJA-Federation to provide relief to terror victims in the second intifada, the Israel Trauma Coalition has played a vital role in funding disaster relief around the world, and it is now an internationally recognized authority in the field of disaster relief and trauma response.
- Within minutes of the attacks on 9/11, our beneficiary agencies established emergency relief centers and temporary shelter to provide disaster relief to the thousands of people who poured into the streets from the World Trade Center. In the following months and years, our network provided critical bereavement counseling, trauma treatment, and legal assistance. View resources for commemorating the anniversary of 9/11.
- In the aftermath of the South Asian tsunami in 2004, we provided the funds and expertise to help rebuild entire communities.
- In 2005, we raised $5 million in Hurricane Katrina aid and disaster relief for New Orleans, and have sent hundreds of volunteers every year to help residents build new homes.
- In response to the earthquake in Haiti in 2010, we immediately raised $700,000 for disaster relief efforts that included search-and-rescue, food, water, and other emergency care.
- In December 2010, we established a special fund to help communities in northern Israel cope with the emotional and physical devastation of the Israel wildfire, the largest and deadliest ever faced by the country.
- Within hours of the earthquake in Japan on March 11, 2011, for example, we mobilized support for our Japan Earthquake Relief Fund.
When you give to UJA-Federation, you support a network of nearly 100 beneficiary agencies that are ready and can respond quickly — and effectively — to any crisis.