- Job Location:
- New York , NY
- Marketing and Communications
The director of public relations is responsible for developing and implementing UJA-Federation of New York’s overall strategic public relations program with the goal of increasing awareness of its mission and the work it makes possible, the engagement of the volunteer and donor base, and the thought leadership provided by senior professionals and volunteers. The director will lead a team of professionals who serve as a resource throughout the organization for press outreach, media events, media calls, crisis communications support, and press material development. The director will develop and manage PR efforts that positively position UJA-Federation and drive or align closely with marketing campaigns, using communications tools and practice, to reinforce the organization’s messages.
- Develop and manage a strategic, proactive public relations and media strategy for UJA-Federation.
- Consistently cultivate strategic relationships and work closely with key media influencers, reporters, journalists, producers, and editors to ensure UJA-Federation has a prominent voice and is highly visible on key strategic issues of importance to the organization.
- Develop content and outreach that positively position UJA-Federation in the context of breaking news and trends in the press.
- Deepen and extend media exposure for the organization by identifying and executing story ideas that garner media placement, byline articles, op-ed pieces, and so forth.
- Market directly to press as well as to key influencers.
- Serve as an official spokesperson for UJA-Federation, and assume direct responsibility for managing the drafting or reviewing of major press releases, policy statements, positioning and talking points, and strategic and tactical communications plans to increase visibility and stature of the organization and its key officers.
- Provide communications counsel to senior management, helping to enhance the organization’s success by applying proactive and reactive communications strategy, including crisis communications and breaking news.
- Manage incoming media inquiries and prepare senior leadership for interviews with local, national, and international media.
- Spearhead the overall creation and design of policies and procedures for media relations.
- Provide overall leadership to the PR team by providing direction, coaching, problem resolution, and performance evaluation.
- Provide consultative crisis-management intervention and support to our network of agencies if needed.
Requirements and Competencies
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in public and media relations at a senior management level.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to shape the story and manage the message.
- Ability to manage PR agencies.
- Strategic thinking and proven experience developing and executing on original ideas; ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
- Able to excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and take a positive team approach to working with internal and external partners.
- Proven track record developing strong, positive relationships with targeted press.
- Excellent presence, with the ability to quickly gain the respect of the senior leadership team and emerge as a strategic counselor and advisor.
- Proven collaboration and leadership skills.
- Excellent supervisory and people-management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, journalism, or a related discipline required.
- Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community.