Oct. 31, 2023 (New York, NY) – UJA-Federation of New York is leading a coalition of 28 local rabbis and Jewish leaders to aid those impacted by the war with Hamas.
The delegation landed in Israel on Monday and will travel through November 1, visiting numerous communities to provide support and trauma assistance to evacuees and families of hostages and engaging in chaplaincy work at major medical centers.
The delegation comprises rabbis and Jewish leaders from diverse backgrounds, including 11 Orthodox, six Conservative, five Reform, and one Reconstructionist leader. They represent synagogues and organizations from all five boroughs in New York City, as well as Long Island and Westchester. Rabbi Menachem Creditor, the Pearl and Ira Meyer scholar-in-residence at UJA, and Alex Roth-Kahn, the managing director of UJA’s Caring Department, are traveling with the delegation.
“As Israel mourns in the aftermath of the barbaric terror attack committed on innocent Israeli civilians, it is vital for Israelis to know that American Jewry is here to support them,” said Rabbi Creditor. “My heart is in pain as I make this trip to Israel, but we as clergy are ready to serve and stand in solidarity with our Israeli brothers and sisters during this painful time.”
Since the attack on Israel on Oct. 7, UJA has allocated more than $37 million to meet emergency needs related to the war.
Further information on UJA’s emergency work in Israel and grantmaking can be found here: https://www.ujafedny.org/israel-at-war.
Participating Jewish leaders include:
- Orit Lender: Joan & Alan Bernikow JCC of Staten Island
- Erica Brown: Yeshiva University
- Aaron Brusso: Bet Torah
- Angela Buchdahl: Central Synagogue
- Eliezer Buechler: Columbia/Barnard Hillel – The Kraft Center for Jewish Student Life
- Carie Carter: Park Slope Jewish Center
- Michelle Dardashti: Kane Street Synagogue
- Joshua Davidson: Temple Emanu-El
- Steven Exler: Hebrew Institute of Riverdale
- Naphtali Harcsztark: SAR Academy and High School
- Richard Hidary: Sephardic Synagogue
- Jonathan Jaffe: Beth El of Northern Westchester
- Jonathan Leener: Prospect Heights Shul
- Yosie Levine: The Jewish Center
- Serge Lippe: Brooklyn Heights Synagogue
- Liana Meirom Asif: The Jewish Agency for Israel/UJA-Federation
- Shlomo Nisanov: Kehilat Sephardim of Ahavat Achim
- Harry Pell: The Leffell School
- David Schuck: Beth El Synagogue Center
- Daniel Sherman: West Side Institutional Synagogue
- Jodie Siff: Reconstructionist Synagogue of the North Shore
- Noam Silverman: Abraham Joshua Heschel School
- Benjamin Skydell: Congregation Orach Chaim
- Joshua Stanton: East End Temple
- Annie Tucker: Temple Israel Center
- Elie Weinstock: Jewish Center Atlantic Beach