Volunteer with HIAS to help refugees, asylees and asylum seekers build their new lives in New York City. Help them acquire critical English skills, catch up on academics, and learn to navigate their new community. ENL Volunteer Tutors help refugees, asylees and asylum seekers with a beginner’s level of English gain English language skills in speaking, reading and writing. ENL Volunteer Tutors must have professional experience teaching English to adult non-native English speakers. ENL Volunteers will meet with their mentees one on one or in small group of 5 to 6 students.
*ENL Volunteers meet with their students for two hours per week for a duration of 5 months.
What to know before you volunteer:
- All volunteers must be 18+.
- All volunteer roles are currently completely virtual
- Knowledge of a foreign language is not required for most opportunities.
- Volunteer time commitment will vary depending on volunteer opportunity.
- Each volunteer’s schedule and meeting location is unique to their individual volunteer role.
HIAS Volunteers are:
- Committed to supporting refugees, asylees and asylum seekers thrive in their new communities.
- Patient, flexible, culturally sensitive, empathetic, and resourceful
- Representative of a wide range of professional and educational backgrounds
Interested? Click the sign up button for more information and volunteer application details.