The director of public relations is responsible for developing and implementing
UJA-Federation of New York’s overall strategic public relations program with the goal of increasing awareness of UJA-Federation’s mission and role in the community, the work it makes possible, and the venues through which it engages the community. The director will lead a team of professionals who serve as a resource for the entire organization to publicize events and initiatives and to manage incoming inquiries and crisis communications. The director will work closely with colleagues throughout the Marketing and Communications division and throughout the organization to integrate PR in the marketing mix of specific marketing and fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and manage a strategic, proactive public relations and media strategy for UJA-Federation.
- Consistently cultivate strategic relationships and work closely with key media influencers, reporters, journalists, producers, and editors to ensure UJA-Federation has a prominent voice and is highly visible on key strategic issues of importance to the organization. Market directly to press as well as to key influencers.
- Develop content and outreach that positively position UJA-Federation in the context of breaking news and trends in the press.
1). Oversee and write as needed, press releases and key communication pieces that serve to promote UJA-Federation.
2). Research topics and write articles positioning organizational leaders as industry experts.
3). Identify newsworthy trends and stories to pitch to the media.
- Deepen and extend media exposure for the organization by identifying and executing story ideas that garner media placement, byline articles, op-ed pieces, and so forth.
- Serve as an official spokesperson for UJA-Federation, and assume direct responsibility for major press releases, policy statements, positioning and talking points, and strategic and tactical communications plans to increase visibility and stature of the organization and its key officers.
- Provide communications counsel to senior management and lay leadership, helping to prepare them for interviews with local, national, and international media.
- Spearhead the overall creation and design of policies and procedures for media relations.
- Provide overall leadership to the PR team by providing direction, coaching, problem resolution, and performance evaluation.
- Provide consultative crisis-management intervention and support to our network of agencies if needed.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience working in public and media relations at a senior management level.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to shape the story and manage the message.
- Ability to manage PR agencies.
- Strategic thinking and proven experience developing and executing on original ideas; ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
- Able to excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and take a positive team approach to working with internal and external partners.
- Proven track record developing strong, positive relationships with targeted press.
- Excellent presence, with the ability to quickly gain the respect of the senior leadership team and emerge as a strategic counselor and advisor.
- Proven collaboration and leadership skills.
- Excellent supervisory and people-management skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, PR, journalism, or a related discipline required.
- Knowledge of issues facing the Jewish community.